Electoral Constituencies 2017

The 17 electoral constituencies as determined by the Electoral Boundaries Commission, 2017 are as follows:

About the Electoral Roll

 Tongan Version

The Electoral Roll helps us plan an election as it tells us how many voters are expected to vote in each voting constituency. The roll is listed by Constituency and Village. It will show the name, address, gender, voter registration number and ID card number of each elector. To be able to vote, you must register as a voter. Once you have registered your details will appear on the Electoral Roll.

In preparation for an election, the Supervisor is required under the Electoral Act to publish the provisional roll in the Gazette not less than 6 months before the date when an election must be held. Any person may, within 2 months of the publication of the provisional roll, object to the Supervisor claiming-

  1. That any name is wrongly included;
  2. That any name is wrongly omitted;
  3. That any name is included in the wrong electoral constituency.

After deciding upon any objections and after noting the result of any finalised appeals, the Supervisor shall publish, not more than 4 months or less than 2 months from the date set for an election, the final roll for that election.

For 2014 General Election, the Provisional Roll was scheduled to be published on 15th May, 2014 and the Final Roll on 22 September, 2014.

  •  How do you Update/Inspect the Electoral Roll

 The roll can be searched between 10am and 3pm on any working day at the office of the Commission in Tongatapu or the Town officers Office in each individual village. For the outer-islands, individuals can search the roll at the Governors Office in Ha'apai and Vava'u and the Government Representatives Office in 'Eua and the Niuas. To find out more about who can register as a voter and how to register, please see How do I register?

  • If I have an objection to persons on the roll what can I do?

Any objection to a person on the provisional roll should be lodged to the Supervisor of Elections.

  • What happens if my application for voter registration is refused?

An elector whose application to register is refused will have their names removed from the register. Such electors who dispute the constituency to which they have been registered to can appeal to the Electoral Commission for a transfer. Appeals must be in Writing.

  • Where can I purchase a copy of the Electoral Roll?

The roll can be purchased from any printing firm which prints the Final Roll in Tonga.

  •  When to update your registration details?

You must update your registration details when:

  • You move to another Electoral District or Constituency 
  • Your voting constituency changes if specified by the Tonga Electoral Commission.
  •  Removal from the Voters' Roll

 Your name will be removed from the Electoral Roll if:

    • you have permanently migrated overseas and forgone your Tonga citizenship but you have to inform the Supervisor accordingly; or
    • you have become deceased;or
    • if you have been convicted of an unpardoned criminal offence and sentenced by imprisonment for more than 2 years.



scroll back to top
You are here: Electoral Roll About the Electoral Roll